Town walls of Murten
The rampart walls were built in several stages and from a variety of materials such as gravel, tuff and sandstone. The lower 15 layers of stone date from before the towns construction (12th century).
There are eight views of the battle of Murten in 1476 on the town wall. Fragments of the panorama by Louis Braun (painted 1894) were used in order to establisch a visual correspondance between the painting an the natural landscape.
Some texts, even those in Middle High German, have been freely translated to facilitate understanding. Long sentences have been broken up and augmented with additions such as ‘Confederate’ or ‘Burgundy’. Anyone wishing to pursue the history further, should refer to the referenced literature.
This exhibit has been donated to the Town of Murten by the Fribourg Military Offi cers Association, Section of the Lake District (150th anniversary 2014). Historical advisor: Dr Jürg Stüssi- Lauterburg.
Children are only allowed on the walls when accompanied by adults. It is prohibited to lean over the railings or out of the openings in the wall. Walk at your own risk. We assume no responsibility in the event of an accident.
The Town Administration
Region Murtensee / Région Lac de Morat
+41 (0)26 670 51 12